Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Andy Goldsworthy

Andy Goldsworthy is a British artist who uses found natural objects to create temporary sculptures. He photographs his work as well, to create a permanent record. His art, some of which can be seen at his website, defies the boundary between the organic and the contrived. That is, we recognize his sculptures as works of art, but the natural media gives his works an almost accidental quality. The photographs of his work seem to capture a private moment in nature, in which art has formed itself. In Rivers and Tides, he says, "I don't think the earth needs me at all, but I do need it."




His philosophy as an artist is to capture the process of the natural world. He writes "I have become aware of raw nature is in a state of change and how that change is the key to understanding. I want my art to be sensitive and alert to changes..."

No comments:

Post a Comment